RULES AND GUIDANCE FOR THE WARNINGLID CHARITY TENNIS LADDER
1. Each group will consist of six or seven couples who will play each other during the session.
2. Each match will be the best of three sets.
Points are awarded as follows:
3 points should be given for a win (whether a 2 or 3 set win)
1 point for losing a 3 setter
Walkover – 3 points to couple who were available to play the match but they will not be able to qualify for the extra 2 points at the end for completing all their matches.
3. Tiebreaks should only be played in the first two sets, unless both couples mutually agree to shorten the third set to a tiebreak eg if time or weather are factors.
4. Matches must be completed by the closing date. Matches not completed by this date will be null and void (0 each) except by arrangement with the organisers and players will not receive 2 extra points for completing all matches (see 5 below)
5. Two bonus points will be awarded to those couples who complete all their matches within the time limit. The bonus points will not be awarded if players have received 3 points for a ‘walkover’.
6. One bonus point will be awarded to couples whose final match has had to be cancelled during the last week of the session because of bad weather.
7. A walkover will be automatically given by a couple cancelling an arranged match at short notice. i.e. within 24 hours unless due to injury or illness. If the cancellation is due to injury or illness, a rematch should be arranged if possible. If more than 24 hours notice is given then a rematch should be arranged. However, if a mutual date is impossible to find all round, then the score will be nil all.
8. If, due to weather conditions, it becomes necessary to abandon a match before it has been completed , then the start score at the rearranged match shall carry on from where the original match finished.
9. If a couple cancels the same match twice (unless due to injury or illness) the match is forfeited and 3 points will be awarded to the other couple.
10. When possible, the two winning couples of each group will be promoted to the next section of the ladder, and the two losing couples will be demoted. The groups will then be reconstructed for the next season. However, due to constant membership changes this cannot always be achieved.
11. If, during the course of a match, a player sustains an injury whereby she cannot continue play, the set being played must be conceded.
12. Please be on time for your matches. If a couple arrives twenty minutes late then they must concede a set. If players are 40minutes late the match can be claimed by the waiting couple.
13. The couple making the initial contact shall have the choice of court. In practice many couples who regularly meet in the ladder agree to alternate home/away venues. This ‘good practice’ is encouraged. If invited to play on private courts, the hosts should pay any guest fees.
14. Anyone wishing to play at Comptons Tennis Club should note the following charges which will come into force in 2013. If two or more players are members (of Comptons Tennis Club) there will be no charge to play. If only one player is a member there will be a charge of £5. If all four players are non-members there will be a charge of £15. Fees due should be put into envelope and posted into black box near notice board in Club House. Any non-members must book their court via email@example.com or by phoning 01403 210852 or 01403 891419.
15. To ensure all scores are posted and that both couples benefit from points won, both couples must report the result of the match within 48 hours to GILL Johnson preferably by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: 01444 881339. Please include your GROUP NUMBER when advising results.
16. These matches are intended to be played on weekdays. No matches should be scheduled to start before 12.00 noon on a Tuesday or Thursday at Comptons Tennis Club.
17. When hosting a ladder match home players should make sure there are toilet facilities available.
18. If players wish to offer their opponents a home court then that court must be in good condition, non slippery and no bumps or cracks.